Christmas Tree Debate Real or Plastic?
- Artificial trees are made of PVC a toxic plastic which off gas toxic chemicals
- Artificial trees are non recyclable and non biodegradable
- Artificial trees are made of petroleum and metal and have a high carbon footprint
- Artificial trees are cleaner and less messy and maybe the choice with people with tree allergies
- One single tree absorbs 1 ton of carbon emissions in it’s life time.
- Live Christmas trees are a sustainable product, they are replanted / replaced each year.
- Live Trees employ over 100,000 Americans
- Live Trees can be mulched, used for landscaping, gardening or erosion control
- Live trees can have an impact on the environment if pesticides are used to grow them
- Live trees can be purchased with a bulb and replanted for next Christmas
- Live trees need to be discarded outside of a landfill, landfills don’t provide enough oxygen for decomposition
The best option for live trees would be a chemical free tree or an organically grown tree that is locally grown. If you must purchase a artificial tree search and see if you can find one that is used. It has less off-gassing and is much better for the environment because new ones don’ t have to be made. Until which time food grade plastic trees or other sustainable fiber trees can be made, our vote is on a live Christmas tree! They have a wonderful aroma too! Enjoy your holidays!