Black Friday, can you go Green? Most Green minded people see Black Friday as the worst day of the year for being Green, It certainly can be, but there are ways, if you do want to shop on Black Friday to be Green.
I personally do not shop on Black Friday much at all, I do try to avoid it. My reasons are not only about being Green, but also, about being caught up in the marketing and commercialization of using this time of year, to sell hard.
As a business woman, I’m fully aware of the bottom line. I understand this season brings in much more in sales, I also know that it isn’t a time for me to throw in the towel on Being Green, ethical and kind.
What a turn off it is for me to just finish Thanksgiving dinner with family, and the rush out to spend the night at a box store to save money and get the deals. Marketers make it hard to pass up. Though, in my heart, I don’t judge people who do.
Kindness is a good reason to play it low during Black Friday rush to buy. People stomping all over others, pushing, getting angry, frustrated, anxious. It is stress to max!
Many people really need Black Friday to make ends meet, to be able to get gifts for family and friends, that otherwise might not. I, myself know that feeling.
For those who want to Be Green, and shop on Black Friday, here are some ways you can lessen your carbon footprint and keep it Green.
* Plan ahead with re-usable shopping bags. Many stores offer them now at the counters for sale. If you have many at home, save the money and save the planet, by taking your own.
* Un-load your trunk and car. This is a easy wah to save on gas. The lighter your vehicle, the less gas you use.
* Air in the tires. This will also save on gas, saves your poket book and the environment
* Carpool if you can to stores, this helps keep the traffic down, the carbon from vehicles, and creates a fun environment.
* Buy recycled or environmentally friendly products when you can.
* Buy local. This is huge, it supports your local economy, it also saves on the carbon footprint of shipping etc. It supports small businesses also. Boxed stores can be hard to pass up on the deals, and if you can, buy from a local small business.
* Refuse the plastic! Yes, you can recycle it, but the less used is the less that needs recycling. Shipping it back to China, isn’t that earth friendly.
* Buy energy efficient products when you can. Do research prior to shopping, this saves time, and gas to go from store to store.
* Buy used! I know how cheezy is that to buy used for the holidays. I get it, new is more exciting and fun. Consider this, it really helps the environment. If your loved one is into Green, they will be excited to know you thought Green!
* Ethical shopping! When shopping know your brands, and look for sweatshop free products, Support companies that have fair wages, working towards being green, or greener.
* Quality products. Quality might not seem Green, but it is. Products that are made well, last longer. Comapnies that produce quality offer warranties, replacement parts etc. This cuts down on the amount of the product you have to buy, and keeps products out of the landfill.
* Wrap Green! Creative inexpensive, fun ways to wrap and save the enviromnent. Cloth bags, newspaper, re-used wrapping paper, recycled wrapping paper, tree-free cards and gift wrap. It can be beautiful and Green!
I could go on and on, on this subject. I’m very passionate about being Green! If Black Friday is your desire, try to keep your carbon footprint in check! It will feel so good to know you did, after the holidays. Pass it along.